Chester woods fishing report
12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Chester woods fishing report
...In all my years of ice fishing around rochester iv never had as good and consistent of a crappie bite as i have had the last 3 afternoon//nights at chester woods! after the sun goes down and the vexilar lights up with all the little green bars (im assuming freshwater plankton or something of that nature) the crappies go crazy! one 10.5" crappie after another, with some smaller crappies mixed in and some dandy 8.5" gills and even a nice 15" cat! take a look at the chester woods depth chart and fish ANY steep drop-off, set up in 30fow - 35fow, leave the minnows and waxies at home and bring the spring bobber, spikes and glow jigs!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2010, 07:38 AM
RE: Chester woods fishing report
Good report, Terps. Welcome to the forum. I was thinkin tonite or tomorrow nite of driving up there for the crappie bite. I have normally had good luck in there. Glad to hear its on this year.

Men's health awareness.
12-29-2010, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2010 09:52 AM by F2L.)
Exclamation way to break the RO ice with a great and informative post

"Ya ez ready"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
How was the walk out there? Heard it's been a bear with this snow

Ice ice baby
12-29-2010, 11:17 AM
(12-29-2010 10:59 AM)Dufek Wrote:  How was the walk out there? Heard it's been a bear with this snow

I could only imagine....

"Ya ez ready"
12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
(12-29-2010 11:17 AM)F2L Wrote:  
(12-29-2010 10:59 AM)Dufek Wrote:  How was the walk out there? Heard it's been a bear with this snow

I could only imagine....

The walk isnt THAT bad....it could be worse (like KR7 or Game-Haven) gotta look at it this way, its completely flat, you dont have to pull your shack up a huge earth dam or anything like that...and it looks like a groomed ski trail with all the shacks that have been pulled out there so your not blaze-n new trails until you get out to the main part of the lake.

Out of all the rochester lakes id say chester has the worst ice...its thick enough but there is a nice layer of frozen slush ontop of the ice and even a little standing water/slush once you get established and get the heater on (i wouldnt go out there with my tennis shoes on) NOTHING like out in South-Central Minnesota tho!

Id suggest if you are not familiar with the lake, get out there about 4pm...that gives you enough time to pull the shack out and drill a few holes, find the steep drop-offs and 30 - 35 fow and get comfortable before the crappie feed bag really turns on.

Remeber to pay your entrance fee (they DO monitor that!) and read the regulations! you can only keep 5 sunnies (all must be over 7") and 5 crappies.... AND PICK UP YOUR TRASH!
12-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice report Terps! Welcome to the site. Have you been out to KR7 this year?
12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
(12-29-2010 12:32 PM)dalden Wrote:  Nice report Terps! Welcome to the site. Have you been out to KR7 this year?

yea iv been out to KR7 this year...
KR7 was the first pond in Rochester to freeze up, i was out ice fishing kr7 on November 25th! TONS of dink gills, pumpkin seed, perch and crappies! there is a little hole off to the right of the machine gets about 13' deep there and thats were we set up usually...

This spring i had a great time out at kr7, every day id go out there and catch hundreds of 8" crappies on a small jig and twister tail...Then i got this monster! 14" personal best crappie...(That tackle box is 8" long)
[Image: HUGEcrappie2.jpg]

So i no there is at least 1 big one in that lake cause i let this beast go, but i had to sort threw HUNDREDS of little guys! (Dang look at that green grass and the dandelion...i miss spring!!!!)
12-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Woza Terps. A warm welcome and mighty solid introductory first post. Nice crappie too. Glad to hear KR7 has at least a few decent fish left.

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Welcome aboards Terps. That is a hell of a nice crapp neck!!

"I can take you to the fish, but I can't make you catch them."
12-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the boards! Probably the best first post yet!

Andy Anderson
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
(12-29-2010 11:17 AM)F2L Wrote:  

I could only imagine....

Pack lite and don't leave your balls next to the oven...

Men's health awareness.
12-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Chester has huge potential! Nice to hear its bearing fruit.

Great post.

The paddle whispers, the canoe glides...
12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Hey Terps, was that crappie skinny? Looks long but deathly skinny. Welcome to the site.
12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Terp,
What was the water clarity? still pretty stained or has it cleared up a bit. Can you tell if the water level is up? Chester is still one of my favorites because of the scenery. Great first post and welcome to RO. Thanks
12-29-2010, 07:05 PM
nice report terps and welcome!
12-29-2010, 10:42 PM
(12-29-2010 04:33 PM)case1803 Wrote:  Hey Terps, was that crappie skinny? Looks long but deathly skinny. Welcome to the site.
...I dont know if it was skinny or not, only 14" crappie iv ever caught haha ...seemd normal to me tho

(12-29-2010 04:40 PM)magicstix Wrote:  Terp,
What was the water clarity? still pretty stained or has it cleared up a bit. Can you tell if the water level is up? Chester is still one of my favorites because of the scenery. Great first post and welcome to RO. Thanks

Umm i dont no about clarity, i guess i never checked and most of the time its dark out when i get out there so its definitely hard to tell then lol

It was another great night of fishing, with the changing weather i new it wasn't going to be as hot of a bite as past nights but fish were still catch-able...and it was a decent 36 degrees so i did a little hole hoping around 8pm and got into some decent sized gills!
Here are some pics from tonight...
[Image: 12.jpg]
[Image: 14.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]

How many fish do you count in this picture???

[Image: 13.jpg]

Biggest fish of the night:
Gill: 9"
Crappie: 10.5"

P.S. say alot of guys come out at 4pm when i was coming out (4 groups) but none of them stayed past 6:30 WHIMPS
12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice!!!

"I can take you to the fish, but I can't make you catch them."
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Well done Terps. As planned, I stopped out there tonite. The bite was good, and you made an honest first post. I didn't exactly follow suit to what ya said and did real well, but I did test your post and everything panned out the way ya said. Well done!.
If I'd known which shack you were in I woulda stopped in to say 'hi'. Next time...

Men's health awareness.
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
(12-29-2010 11:04 PM)DzNuts Wrote:  If I'd known which shack you were in I woulda stopped in to say 'hi'. Next time...

I was in a Clam Pro TC, i was set up on the inside corner heading out to the dam... How bout you?
12-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Its hard to tell from the flash in your pics but you'd know what I mean. You'd drill a hole and the water that comes up is brownish. The worst I'd ever seen it was one year the water was a nasty ruddy brown/ reddish color, the fish still bit though. My guess is the trees are decomposing. Nice report again!!!Smile
12-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Good work!

"Ya ez ready"
12-30-2010, 12:57 PM
great report and nice fish. just was wondering how much ice was out there at chester and was it good ice? plus the regulations on the fish size and number is the best thing to ever happen to any fishery. i wish i could have gotten out these last couple of days. with the temp difference it always makes good for icefishing. thanks again!

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abraham Lincoln
12-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Went out again tonight and what a mess! crazy what one day of 40+ degree temps can do...there is close to no snow ontop of the ice now, instead its a slushy//watery mess!! the ice looks VERY sketchy in spots but every where i drilled there was still 5 inches of good ice and 5+ of crappy frozen slush with alot of unfrozen slush/water ontop of that.

Fished the same hole i did yesterday night because it was conveniently wide open and never froze over from last night, and the HOT crappie bite of 2010 is officially OVER! but just like clockwork the Bluegills stepped there game up! I was able to ice 15 or so nice 8-9" bluegills and maybe 5 crappies with no consistency in size, one was SUPER small maybe 3 inches and the biggest was 10" and the rest fell in between...

on a side note, i had a natural toilet bowl action going on in my hole tonight?? i think it was all the water standing ontop of the ice draining back into the lake threw my hole?? and when i stuck my hand in the water to get my jig that was stuck on the edge of the hole my hand was covered in a brown nasty sludge...lets just say the water clarity is horrible right now!
12-30-2010, 11:24 PM
thanks again terps. you are a real icefishermen to go out tonite on the ice. give it another week or so and the ice will be even stronger then ever. i personaly think we need this warm weather to melt the snow on the ice. now all we need is a good week of cold weather to get the ice frozen real good. i'm a zumbro guy and i know the ice out there has been crappy at best. i think mother nature is giving a fresh start to the winter fishing. thanks again for the ice report!Smile

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abraham Lincoln

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)