Sucker Balls
01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Sucker Balls
No, not what you thinkWink

Sucker balls are one of the highlights of the annual Root River Roughfish Roundup, where piles of fresh redhorse and sucker fillets are run through a meat grinder then mixed, seasoned, and deep fried into little delectable pieces of heaven. I for one can't wait a year between sucker ball feasts so I make a few small batches throughout the year. They're easy to make and here's everything you need to head back into the kitchen and whip up your own.

First a few notes. Just about any fish will do. Suckers are superb, so are drum, bass, etc. Don't worry about y-bones when filleting, they'll get chopped up and you won't notice them in the end result. This is a technique more than an actual recipe. All you really need are fish, crackers, salt, and eggs. Salt is important in the protein binding process - don't omit it. Go wild and be creative with the seasonings.

So, let's get cooking.

1) Assemble your ingredients
[Image: suckerballsStep1.jpg]

2) Grind or hand-mince the fish, chop the herbs, beat the eggs, crush the crackers.
[Image: suckerballsStep2.jpg]

Mix all ingredients except the eggs, adjust your ratios until it looks right to you.
[Image: suckerballsStep3.jpg]

Add the beaten eggs, let stand about 5 minutes and then work the mixture for a couple minutes. The salt and the meat will react and begin to bind (in this case, the salt was in the spice blend). Shape the mixture into 1" balls and let stand 5 more minutes to firm up good.
[Image: suckerballsStep4.jpg]

Fry 'em up in 350 F oil until a deep golden color and crunchy outer crust develop.
[Image: suckerballsStep5.jpg]

Enjoy! Here they are joined by hush puppies. Good thing I ain't got a cardiologist. He wouldn't approve.
[Image: suckerballsStep6.jpg]

If you think it's impossible, don't get in my way while I'm doing it.

Confessions of a multispecies addict: http://fyke.net/fishing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
RE: Sucker Balls
Looks great! I am anxious to try this recipe.
Find all posts by this user
01-18-2011, 06:46 PM
(01-18-2011 06:40 PM)Eric Korman Wrote:  Looks great! I am anxious to try this recipe.

X2 Thanks for sharing Fiddle.

"I can take you to the fish, but I can't make you catch them."
01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
I have made this with Pike Y bone and ribs no waste thank you for reminding me of this it has been a long time, I can taste and smell that fish from here GOOOOOD!
Jonny B
01-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I ran into a recipe online this summer. I tried it with panfish and was unimpressed. That recipe was nothing like this though. I think I'll keep a couple hammer handles on my next trip and give this a try.

Ice ice baby
01-18-2011, 09:47 PM
is it spring yet???
01-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Last years roundup Mark helped out quite a bit in the process in the making of them. I saw him cleaning fish for what seemed like forever.

I went from starvin to stuffed. Never ate so much fish in my life. They were terriffic. Had some french bread with it plus a few othwe side dishes. The roughfish.com peeps really bring it all together.
01-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Wow ! Great job explaining how to do this, and nice job on the pictures. I think I will give this a try.
01-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Fantastic post!

Mark, keep me in the loop regarding this years roundup, I'd like to participate and help fillet!

The paddle whispers, the canoe glides...
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Mark your calendars - The roundup this year is April 29 to May 1. The festivities usually kick off on Friday with a float trip from Lanesboro to the campground. Saturday brings the derby and the fish fry. Like D.T. says, they do it up right.

01-19-2011, 12:36 PM
(01-19-2011 12:23 PM)fiddleFish Wrote:  Mark your calendars - The roundup this year is April 29 to May 1. The festivities usually kick off on Friday with a float trip from Lanesboro to the campground. Saturday brings the derby and the fish fry. Like D.T. says, they do it up right.

Whats the cost to partake in this round up?

Yesterday, I knew nothing... Today, I know that!

(05-27-2012 01:32 PM)IxR IcE Man Wrote:  If you have friends or family members and your uncomfortable with them driving either your truck or your boat i think its time to find new people to go fishing with.
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
(01-19-2011 12:36 PM)Michael Wrote:  Whats the cost to partake in this round up?

No up front cost to participate. Camping fees, food, beer, etc are your about your only costs. Prize donations for the species derby are always welcome and appreciated.

01-19-2011, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2011 07:45 PM by Tyler Holm.)
Love the roundup. Great group of fellas. I had a blast down there a few years back. Hope to make it again this year. Marking the calendar.

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
01-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Looks great! I'll definitely have to try your recipe
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
(01-19-2011 07:45 PM)Tyler Holm Wrote:  Love the roundup. Great group of fellas. I had a blast down there a few years back. Hope to make it again this year. Marking the calendar.

Hey guys! Andy here, roughfish.com administrator. I just wanted to chime in with an invitation to all Rochester Outdoors members to attend our 10th annual Root River Roundup. This year's event will be the best yet!

We will be putting together an official 2011 Roundup page once the date draws nearer, and for now you can get some info on our forums at http://www.roughfish.com

Hope to see some of you there!
01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I'll be there Andy if you bring the potato salad again. Friday night as well this year I think too.
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
(01-24-2011 12:10 PM)andy Wrote:  This year's event will be the best yet!

Hey there, Andy! Better than last year? Tall order there. I guess that means you've ordered nicer weather for this year?

01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
(01-19-2011 12:23 PM)fiddleFish Wrote:  Mark your calendars - The roundup this year is April 29 to May 1. The festivities usually kick off on Friday with a float trip from Lanesboro to the campground. Saturday brings the derby and the fish fry. Like D.T. says, they do it up right.

This sounds like somthing I might be up for, little fishing/camping/ drinking beers, keep us updated with info when this gets closer
01-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Would this work for any fish or are you using suckers for a reason? I'm thinking White Bass.

"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it."
01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I made them for the fam last summer and used a mixed bag of fish - sux, smallies, & some small cats, and they came out good. Any leaner fish should work. If its good breaded and fried it should work here. Never tried fatty fish like troots or salmons, but it sounds unappealing to my taste.

01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Calendar's marked. Let's see what
happens.

Men's health awareness.
05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
(01-24-2011 12:10 PM)andy Wrote:  
(01-19-2011 07:45 PM)Tyler Holm Wrote:  Love the roundup. Great group of fellas. I had a blast down there a few years back. Hope to make it again this year. Marking the calendar.

Hey guys! Andy here, roughfish.com administrator. I just wanted to chime in with an invitation to all Rochester Outdoors members to attend our 10th annual Root River Roundup. This year's event will be the best yet!

We will be putting together an official 2011 Roundup page once the date draws nearer, and for now you can get some info on our forums at http://www.roughfish.com

Hope to see some of you there!

Anybody go to this? report/pics/?
I really wanted to give this a try but ended closing on a house and moving over this weekend
05-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Didn't make it to the actual Roundup, but ran into a few of the guys when we were getting ready to float the root by Chatfield. Sounded like a good time was had.

Andy Anderson
05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I seen from pics on roughfish DT and fiddle made it down. Looked like good number of fish caught and good times had. Fiddle or DT care to explain the "riffle shuffle" to me?

Ice ice baby
05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Also, pay attention to the show Minnesota Bound! I guess they filmed a big segment on it! Pretty cool!

Andy Anderson

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)