Sturgeon Excursion 2013
09-21-2012, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 01:41 PM by Tyler Holm.)
Sturgeon Excursion 2013
Excursion'ers,

I know it's early to start thinking about next spring, but I can't help it. I just called and chatted with the fellas at Borderview Lodge and it sounds like they are currently 3/4 booked (group of 30 and another group of 24 currently booked) for the weekend that we are planning on being there. You should book NOW to ensure you get a room. You can always cancel at a later date if things fall through.

Dates: April 17-23, 2013

This year we are staying at the ever popular Borderview Lodge again. The facility is quite a bit nicer than Wigwam and much better than Schuester's. I've got the Grand Lodge booked again. It sleeps 16, so let me know if you want in as there is plenty of room for a few more boats. Borderview has not posted their spring rates quite yet, but they guessed it would be around $34 per person. I suspect the place could be booked up by Thanksgiving, and very likely full by Christmas so I encourage you to book NOW.
http://www.borderviewlodge.com/ - 1-800-776-3474

My plan:
Leave Rochester after work on the evening of Wed April 17th. Fish overnight and break the 60" mark on the very first night. My boat is heading back for Rochester on the afternoon of April 23rd (possibly fishing till midday on that Tuesday).

If you have any questions on fishing or boating gear, simply let me know. I've got quite a bit of extra gear that I'd be happy to lend out.

This is an open invite to anybody so feel free to pass on this email/invitation to others that would enjoy this trip.

Another motivator... Last year was "tough" and as a group we still did better than all previous years. My boat caught 38 fish over 50" and 6 over 60". Each year keeps getting better and better.

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
RE: Sturgeon Excursion 2013
how much is the over all trip??

IF IT FLIES IT DIES HELLL YA!!!!!

(DUCK FEVER)
Find all posts by this user
09-22-2012, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2012 09:28 AM by Dufek.)
350-500 has been my experience. All depends, last year it was just my dad and I and we drove an hour one way to where they were hitting.

Ice ice baby
11-12-2012, 10:49 AM
BUMP. If your interested in going and looking for an open seat, now is the time to start inquiring.

11-13-2012, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 05:59 PM by Tyler Holm.)
Korman, you got anything dialed yet for your cronies? Clayton?

Casey, any update on your side of things?

11-15-2012, 06:25 AM
(11-13-2012 05:59 PM)Tyler Holm Wrote:  Korman, you got anything dialed yet for your cronies? Clayton?

There is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.

Very sadly my group is going to miss this year. Clayton is expecting a kid mid April and I'm scheduled to have surgery in early April. I'm really bummed but we'll be back again in 2014.
11-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Same here. Luckily my dad got the itch last year. He fixed up my boat after it pulled a titanic and then winterized it. He's demanding payment in a 2014 trip. Twist my arm.

Ice ice baby
11-29-2012, 11:55 PM
I know I said this same thing last year, but I have to believe this year we are going to hit it DEAD NUTS on the timing. It's been almost 5 years since we've had a "numbers" year. Numbers such that each person catches double digits fish each day. We've been late and early, but the odds of hitting it dead nuts are always on the weekend we go and I'm thinking this is our year. I can't imagine we'll top last years sizings, but I've said that every single year and been proved wrong every single year. From the sounds of it, the RO group is going to be several boats short of what we've been in the past. More fish for those going...

Trust me, you want to go on this trip. Start planning now. Call the above number and book a room. Then let me know because once it gets closer we do lots of "planning parties" prior to the trip.

Certainly the best chance you'll have at catching the largest fresh water fish of your life. Last year, my boat netted about a dozen fish that were 50-65+ lbs.

01-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Just called Borderview again and got a firm pricing for this year's cabin rentals. It's $34 per person, per night. At this point they only have 4 cabins left (capable of sleeping 22 people total). Book now if you haven't reserved a room - 1-800-776-3474

01-04-2013, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 04:34 PM by Andy Anderson.)
I think it's time to start getting excited about this trip! Stay tuned for more videos!

Pay special attention at about the 5 minute mark!!

Andy Anderson
Thanks given by:  Tyler Holm , SuperFish
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Did someone say Sturgeon?

01-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Andy Anderson - Bump!

01-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Did someone say bump?

Andy Anderson
Thanks given by:  Tyler Holm , SuperFish
01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Just awesome.

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.
-A.K. Best
01-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Damn that's a beast of a fish.

Yesterday, I knew nothing... Today, I know that!

(05-27-2012 01:32 PM)IxR IcE Man Wrote:  If you have friends or family members and your uncomfortable with them driving either your truck or your boat i think its time to find new people to go fishing with.
01-24-2013, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 05:31 PM by Tyler Holm.)
All of these (never seen before) anticipation videos (and there will be several more) are from last year. 2012 Excursion

I've said it many, many times. I go on a pile of trips each year and this one is by far the funnest/best trip I do each year. If your on the fence, or even remotely interested, you need to put forth the effort at all costs and make this trip happen.

01-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Such a fat fish!
01-24-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 10:02 PM by Mr. Rockstar.)
so what's the equipment you guys run, I know you've posted before. something like a heavy action 9 foot rod and a massive clicker reel with 50 lb braid do the trick? is it a "typical" worm fishing style, like cast out and wait, or is there some dragging or trolling involved? What about sinker weights, and how do you rig up? as far as boat tactic go are you guys just anchored up in the current running an anchor off stern and one from bow?

Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be. George Carlin
01-24-2013, 10:46 PM
The below 3 links are what I've recommend to other first-timers / beginners to read.

http://www.rochesteroutdoors.net/forum/s...hp?tid=397

http://www.rochesteroutdoors.net/forum/s...p?tid=3773

http://www.rochesteroutdoors.net/forum/s...hp?tid=769

Yes, it's just like sucker fishing, just bigger gear. Ball of crawlers (and perhaps minnows) ~3oz weight, 5/0 circle hook and cast it out and wait. Typical worm slip sinker rig. No dragging. Can hold the rod, or put it in the holder. It's not rocket science, that's for sure.

You can anchor whatever works best for you to hold your boat as still as possible. For me, it's one anchor off the bow with a 100' rope. The current will basically hold you straight, but then one of the stern just to help a little with boat sway and side wind. It's a little more technical than that, but that's the jist.

Thanks given by:  Mr. Rockstar
01-24-2013, 10:49 PM
And they are not massive clicker reels. Just size 4000 Shamino Symetre's or similar reel. Some run size 30 reels as well. 50-65# power pro. 100+# spro swivels.

01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
sweet! thanks for the links, I'm gonna try to make it, April 18-21. Checked Border view they're all booked up, so may be sleeping in the truck.

Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be. George Carlin
01-25-2013, 08:52 AM
do you have to get a sturgeon tag to target them, or only need to get a tag if you plan to keep one?

01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
(01-25-2013 08:52 AM)Mr. Rockstar Wrote:  do you have to get a sturgeon tag to target them, or only need to get a tag if you plan to keep one?
Only if you plan on keeping one.
01-27-2013, 08:28 AM
And I checked on the sturgeon catch and keep season, we will miss it this year by a few days.

Andy Anderson
01-28-2013, 06:30 AM
(01-25-2013 08:35 AM)Mr. Rockstar Wrote:  sweet! thanks for the links, I'm gonna try to make it, April 18-21. Checked Border view they're all booked up, so may be sleeping in the truck.

It would be awesome to have you up there this year. I know Wig Wam has openings yet and we do have a few boats staying there with our group. We've also stayed at Schuesters in the past. Both are decent and cheaper than Borderview.

In anycase, I'm sure we can come up with something better than crashing in the truck. A couch or cot would be better than that.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)