*New Members & Guests - Please Read*
10-26-2012, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 09:45 AM by Tyler Holm.)
*New Members & Guests - Please Read*
New Members (and those on the fence about becoming a member of RochesterOutdoors.net),

First off, Thank-You for stopping by and taking the time to read this thread. Welcome to RochesterOutdoors.net. I'd encourage you to take a moment and register to become a member of the site. It's free so you have nothing to lose by joining, but please keep reading...

The mission and purpose of RO.net has always been geared towards the serious outdoorsman. More specifically, it's geared towards those who want to be a part of a local area outdoors network and forum.

A requirement of any internet forum is contribution, right? What's the point of having a forum if nobody contributes? For RO.net, contributing is more than an expectation, it's a right of passage. <- Wink

That being said, every outdoorsman (at any level) has something to contribute. RO.net a place you can and talk ANYTHING outdoors. Ask questions, help answer questions, share stories, talk tactics, equipment reviews, or perhaps you just want to meet folks that have the same passion as you do.

I've often asked people why they don't want to join and their responses are something like: I don't want to give away my personal hotspots to everyone on the internet, or I have nothing to share. Both are BS. You don't have to (and please don't) give exact locations of all your hotspots and all your secrets. That's just crazy. Instead, you can share the depth the fish came at, perhaps the lure or bait, time of day that worked best, and perhaps other factors that contributed to your success but you don't even have to share the body of water you were fishing if you don't want to. And as far as having nothing to share... ask questions and use RO.net as a learning resource.

Like anything in life though, you'll get out of RO, what you put into it.

I would Highlyencourage everyone to introduce yourself in the Who Are You thread, and then follow-up that post with a quick blirp in How Did you find RO?

I think you might be surprised at the opportunities that might be opened for you once you drop in and say Hello. Hint, Hint.

*DISCLAIMER*
Let me be completely clear here. If you are the type of person that will never contribute in any way, shape, or form then RO.net is not for you. Sorry.

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 08:19 PM by Tyler Holm.)
RE: *New Members*
Got a few takers.. Thanks awesome! Just in time for a roaring fall bite immediately followed by the early ice extravaganzas. Welcome new-comers.

11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Lots of new members signing up recently. Again, I'd like to reiterate the fact that it's not enough to simply sign-up. I'd like to again encourage new members to introduce themselves. Let us know a little about your self and what brought you to RochesterOutdoors.net.

There's tons of talk and anticipation for the upcoming ice season. Hunting stories and reports added all the time. Fall fishing has been excellent for many members that have spent time on the water.

12-26-2012, 10:55 PM
*Bump*

12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the bump. I am new to this forum and Rochester. I have not done much ice fishing in the past and when I have gone I have always used my dads or a friends equipment. Now that I am graduated from college and making some money I now have the means of affording my own equipment. I recently purchased a clam, power auger and vexilar. Are there any other tips on how to get a good start in ice fishing?
Find all posts by this user
12-28-2012, 11:24 AM
The best advice I ever got was from my dad. Always say hi and ask how it's going. Every one in ten will be so bored at the time they will tell you there life story and favorite fishing spots and secrets. I watched him do this for years up north find a group of guys on the ice he start to BS next thing you know we're trying some rock pile not on a map and slaughtering the fish. This works really well on the backwaters. Sat next to a guy at McNallys last year struck up a conversation and learned a lot about the backwaters that day. Next day put his knowledge to work and fish fry that night.

[after finally catching Catfish Hunter]
Max: If I die today, I die a happy man.
John: You die today, I'm taking your motor.
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
(12-28-2012 11:03 AM)mayoaaron Wrote:  Are there any other tips on how to get a good start in ice fishing?

It may sound a little cliche, but in all honesty reading this site is probably the best advice I can provide on local area fishing information.

01-31-2013, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 03:11 PM by Tyler Holm.)
Gonna bump this thread again with a little more information for new members and those on the fence about becoming a member of RO.

First off, it's free, so you have nothing to lose by joining, but please keep reading...

The mission and purpose of RO.net has always been geared towards the serious outdoorsman. More specifically, it's geared towards those who want to be a part of a local area outdoors network and forum.

A requirement of any internet forum is contribution, right? What's the point of having a forum if nobody contributes? For RO.net, contributing is more than an expectation, it's a right of passage. <- Wink

That being said, every outdoorsman (at any level) has something to contribute. RO.net a place you can and talk ANYTHING outdoors. Ask questions, help answer questions, share stories, talk tactics, equipment reviews, or perhaps you just want to meet folks that have the same passion as you do.

I've often asked people why they don't want to join and their responses are something like: I don't want to give away my personal hotspots to everyone on the internet, or I have nothing to share. Both are BS. You don't have to (and please don't) give exact locations of all your hotspots and all your secrets. That's just crazy. Instead, you can share the depth the fish came at, perhaps the lure or bait, time of day that worked best, and perhaps other factors that contributed to your success but you don't even have to share the body of water you were fishing if you don't want to. And as far as having nothing to share... ask questions and use RO.net as a learning resource.

Like anything in life though, you'll get out of RO, what you put into it.

*DISCLAIMER*
Let me be completely clear here. If you are the type of person that will never contribute in any way, shape, or form then RO.net is not for you. Sorry.

FYI: Moved most of this information to the top post....

02-18-2013, 08:54 AM
RE: *New Members - Please Read*
New member here. Hi to all. I have not Ice fished for some time. Would much rather be in my boat all year on the soft water. I have a portable and the manual equipment to hard water fish, but soft water is more rewarding to me.
02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
(02-18-2013 08:54 AM)Dennyf Wrote:  New member here. Hi to all. I have not Ice fished for some time. Would much rather be in my boat all year on the soft water. I have a portable and the manual equipment to hard water fish, but soft water is more rewarding to me.

Welcome Denny. Are you from Rochester? Been on the ice yet this year? What's your favorite species to fish for around our area?

02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
I am from the Rochester for the past 32 years. Idaho raised. I am a walleye seeker mostly but any fish that bites my lure. Like I said, the last time on ice has been around 4 or 5 years ago. Started with trout here then moved to walleye. Still buy my trout stamp.
02-19-2013, 10:21 PM
As a kid I fished with my Grandpa almost every day all summer vacation...he taught me lots. This was mostly bank fishing. Then I learned to fish on the Mississippi, loved the fishing as well as watching all forms of wildlife. After having three boys and taking them fishing I became hooked for life. Last weekend Stevens outdoors was a part of take a kid ice fishing..I then reolized how much fishing had two of my sons hooked as well. Everyone at this event was really awesome, I hope all involved got many more kids hooked on fishing as well, then all the work will have been worth it.
12-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Lots of new members lately so I figured it's a good time to bump this thread.

01-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Bump. If you are member of this forum with a mudpuppy (Lurker) status or your a non-registered guest, I would highly encourage you to re-read the top post in this thread. Becoming a contributing member of this forum certainly has its perks.

02-16-2014, 09:36 PM
RE: *New Members & Guests - Please Read*
New to the site and the city, ice fishing is a big passion anybody have any advice on the ol miss backwaters? I will be posting all of my findings on here after I have success
05-24-2014, 10:41 AM
HI all im new to the site. hope to have much to share with you all!
08-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Been in Rochester for 30 years just getting back in to fishing again
12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Hi all my name is John. I live in Austin. I am hoping to meet some new people from the surrounding area with some of the same interests. :-) I really enjoy anything that has to do with the outdoors. Hopefully I can help a few others at the same time. :-)
03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
^what's that guy saying?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)