putting new floor in boat, local supplies?
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2010 09:36 AM by Roch_Fisherman.)
putting new floor in boat, local supplies?
The time has come to attempt to fix the floor in my boat, it’s a 1999 Crestliner Fishhawk 1650 that I think has a factory 5/8 inch floor.

Anybody have a good local source of plywood (might try to skimp and not use marine grade) that I should use?

On the same note anybody have any tips to make to process go a smooth as possible? Here is what I have for a basic plan -

Day one:
Tear out / clean up attempt to leave the wood in tact so I can make templates for new drop in floor

Day two:
Cut plywood, lay in, drill all holes, take back out and epoxy the heck out of the wood

Day three:
Install floor, smear adhesive, lay down carpet, and put everything back together

And if no one has any suggestions please say a prayer…I think I am getting in over my head.

I'd rather be fishing....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2010, 09:53 AM
RE: putting new floor in boat, local supplies?
I've never done this before, but everything I've read says to only use marine grade plywood.

***TEAM IM6 Pro Staff***
03-16-2010, 10:05 AM
(03-16-2010 09:53 AM)Matti Wrote:  I've never done this before, but everything I've read says to only use marine grade plywood.

I'm with Matti on this one. And its easier to only have to do it once incase the other option doesn't pan out. I do know Home Depot can order the Marine Grade plywood. Good luck either way!
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2010 10:07 AM by Dufek.)
(03-16-2010 09:53 AM)Matti Wrote:  I've never done this before, but everything I've read says to only use marine grade plywood.

2nd...

Unless you are a 100% good weather fisherman, always have the boat indoors, and never forget to put the plug in you'd be going through this again too soon for your liking. I don't even change my own oil so no help on the install.

Ice ice baby
03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Marine grade plywood is worth the extra cost. Also any hinges or clasps should be stainless steel.
I did this years ago using the steps you have suggested and it went well. Good luck!

Some things need to be believed in order to be seen.
03-17-2010, 07:20 AM
stainless screws and bolts also, any points of the wood contacting the alum.should be covered..
03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
I've done a few boats in the same manner you described. Once without marine grade plywood. It failed within 3 years! MUCH more expensive in the long run. As said above stick with Stainless hardware when ever possible. Also if you need to put in any subframe lumber go with green treated. My last project was a pontoon. I used marine grade lumber, stainless hardware, marine carpet and adhesive, and it is still in great shape despite sitting out year round for 5 years now. The cost of the right materials is well worth it if you are going to keep it. I'd be willing to help depending on when you are looking to do the work.
03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Does anybody know if there are different kinds of treated wood and what is marine wood treated with? A few years ago I thought on some treated they went to a different chemical that is corrisive to aluminin. Anyone have facts?
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2010 03:13 PM by Tyler Holm.)
(03-16-2010 09:29 AM)Roch_Fisherman Wrote:  The time has come to attempt to fix the floor in my boat, it’s a 1999 Crestliner Fishhawk 1650 that I think has a factory 5/8 inch floor.

I got the same boat, but a year older. My floors have needed to be replaced for the past 4-5 years, but I've been just dragging my feet on the whole deal. I've very interested to see how this goes. If possible, please provide your findings, tips, struggles, pitfalls, etc. I might have to conquer this myself sometime soon.

Are you just doing the floor, or also the raised platform areas in the front and rear of the boat?

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Well so far I have found that Menards will get you the best price for 7 ply 3/4 inch marine grade, $140 for 2 sheets. Although they have to ship it in from their Eau Clair warehouse, so that gives me some time to fret about the rest of the details.

The next million $ question is what to use to seal up the wood once cut to size and holes drilled. Everyone says “use epoxy” do you know how many types of epoxy there are out there!?

After that I have to use up my $175 gift card to Cabella’s to buy carpet and glue I need instead of toys I want.

I will post up some pics as things go

Thanks for the input guys!

03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
There sure is alot of different epoxys, cure rate, temp, humid, etc. Does it need to be epoxy or can a person get by with poly or vinyl ester resin? The epoxy is defineitly more durable. If you need more work time with the epoxy do it on a cooler day/ lower humidity and in the evening to night time, increases your work time drasticly. I believe the West Systems is the most expensive, about $200 a gallon. I've found some cheaper stuff for around $100/gal. but I can't think of the name right now. keep us updated.
03-19-2010, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2010 11:00 AM by Lund79.)
Definately keep us posted. If you have any pictures during the project please post.

I have been thinking of replacing my floor as well and would like to see how it is done. One difference for me, I would not be doing carpet but vinyl instead.
03-19-2010, 10:27 PM
(03-16-2010 09:29 AM)Roch_Fisherman Wrote:  The time has come to attempt to fix the floor in my boat, it’s a 1999 Crestliner Fishhawk 1650 that I think has a factory 5/8 inch floor.

Anybody have a good local source of plywood (might try to skimp and not use marine grade) that I should use?

On the same note anybody have any tips to make to process go a smooth as possible? Here is what I have for a basic plan -

Day one:
Tear out / clean up attempt to leave the wood in tact so I can make templates for new drop in floor

Day two:
Cut plywood, lay in, drill all holes, take back out and epoxy the heck out of the wood

Day three:
Install floor, smear adhesive, lay down carpet, and put everything back together

And if no one has any suggestions please say a prayer…I think I am getting in over my head.

Use the marine grad. I didn't and now I'm paying for it. I used green treat and even coated it with fiberglass. and it still started to get soft.
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2010 02:34 PM by Roch_Fisherman.)
well I started the job today, got a good amount of work done and now I am stuck on getting the live well out. will get pics up later, but damn this is going to be a project....

The big circled area is really soft and the reason for the project, you cant even put a small child there with out fear of them going through.

The other areas are just carpet tears and stains that I do not like but if it wasn't for the big soft spot I would not even think of re-carpeting.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
i hope you leave enough room to put my laz-e-boy in there.

Can I drill a hole yet?
03-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Roch Fisherman... is your boat a single console or a tiller?

Yesterday, I knew nothing... Today, I know that!

(05-27-2012 01:32 PM)IxR IcE Man Wrote:  If you have friends or family members and your uncomfortable with them driving either your truck or your boat i think its time to find new people to go fishing with.
03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
(03-23-2010 06:53 AM)Michael Wrote:  Roch Fisherman... is your boat a single console or a tiller?

Its a 50 HP Mercury tiller

I got the forward part of that main problem area out last night and it looks like a fat ass broke the floor rather than the floor rotting out.

I will post up pics later so you can make a judgment.

The next problem that I might encounter is that the replacement plywood that I got is ¾, the wood that I tore out is slightly less, so now I hope that I am not jacking the floor all up by moving the floor up by a small fraction.

Note to self: when attempting to remove old hoses from live wells a heat gun is a better tool than a large screwdriver.

03-23-2010, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2010 01:04 PM by Tyler Holm.)
Got to love do it yourself jobs. I can't think of a single DIY job that went according to my initial plan/hope. Extra parts, bloody knuckles, wrong tools, incorrect measurements, etc.... Yep, sounds about right.

From your original post, what day are you on?

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
(03-23-2010 01:03 PM)Tyler Holm Wrote:  From your original post, what day are you on?

lets not get into the fine details...the way this is going I will be lucky to be floating in 2 weeks in this boat.

the original hope was to knock this this thing out in a buddies shop and be able to dedicate whole days, now I have to find 30 mins to sneak down there while the kids are in bed and the Mrs. isn't looking.

03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Well the tear down is done except for getting the old carpet off. What a pain in the a$$.

here are some pic of the patient.

and of course this was bound to happen...

03-27-2010, 08:47 AM
This looks like its been a learning experience. Should I ever take on this task I think it will be a winter long project.

Ice ice baby
03-28-2010, 02:34 PM
i didn't read everyones posts so i don't know if this has been said but i have heard of guys making their own marine plywood as it is much more inexpesive - i guess it is basically plywood covered in fiberglass rosin. google it!!!
04-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm doing the same thing... Now I need to find someone to repair my cover so this doesn't happen again!
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Bump! Wondering how your project is coming along?

"I like fishin in a moonshadow"
04-13-2010, 08:16 PM
(04-13-2010 03:15 PM)Cat Stevens Wrote:  Bump! Wondering how your project is coming along?

Greg, your Dad is anxious to get back out fishing, says you're project is cutting into his time on the water. How's it coming? It sounds like he's willing to help speed up the project. Rolleyes

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)