Fishing Willow Cats (Mad Toms)
08-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Fishing Willow Cats (Mad Toms)
How do you fish willow cats? Do you add a sinker and fish them off the bottom?

Fish On!
Lew
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2013, 06:48 AM
RE: Fishing Willow Cats (Mad Toms)
I always use a jig and hook them through the lip to fish them on the bottom. Good luck!
Find all posts by this user
08-19-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm not actually going to spend the money on willowcats. I do have some Madtom plastic bait that looks like willowcats. I haven't used them on the river yet so I was curious how best to fish them. This week will be my first test. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Fish On!
Lew
08-19-2013, 08:44 AM
(08-19-2013 07:40 AM)Lew Wrote:  I'm not actually going to spend the money on willowcats. I do have some Madtom plastic bait that looks like willowcats. I haven't used them on the river yet so I was curious how best to fish them. This week will be my first test. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mike and I fished a Mad-Tom plastic a number of years back during the cold water period and got some real dandy fish on them. We hung the baits on a jig large enough to take the bait down quickly and stay in a vertical presentation. When the bait hit bottom we took up a couple feet of line and tried to keep the baits in that depth zone as we drifted. The hits we had on these things were unreal, no hookset required.

If the plastic Willow Cats work during cold water when they are not really in season there's no reason they shouldn'tt work now. Give it a go. I think for our normal drift we used 3/8 or maybe 1/4 ounce heads. Maybe Mike will chime in here.
08-19-2013, 08:52 AM
There you go Tom, another challenge for your plastics creations.

The hardest thing in life is knowing which bridge to cross and which one to burn.
08-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I may try them on Lake Zumbro this Wednesday and then again on the Big River this week-end.

Fish On!
Lew
08-19-2013, 09:04 AM
If anyone is deliberately targeting walleyes on LZ, they are keeping it quiet.
Yeah Lew, I'd be interested how you do out there.

The hardest thing in life is knowing which bridge to cross and which one to burn.
08-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Ive done well just hooking them threw the lips lindy rig style and drifting with the current or SLOW trolling them back into the current
08-19-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm actually going to use the Madtoms to target smallies. I understand they work well on the Big River.

Here is the company that I got mine from:
http://www.caseplastics.com/case/index.p...d=deihebry

Fish On!
Lew

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)