2014 Sturgeon Excursion
01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
2014 Sturgeon Excursion
Fellas,

Dates: April 23-29, 2014 (Easter falls on April 20th)

Your Invited to the trip of a lifetime!

We're almost back around to April which means a bunch of us are heading back up to the Rainy River / Lake of the Woods to catch huge lake sturgeon. This is your chance to jump aboard the Sturgeon Excursion Train. If your interested and haven't been getting emails from me regarding the trip, please send me your email address. I'm currently working to put together a count of boats and crew members.

Feel free to post your questions and comments here.

Previous Years Threads
Sturgeon Excursion 2013

2012 Sturgeon Excursion
2012 Sturgeon Excursion Reports

2011 Sturgeon Excursion
Sturgeon excursion 2011

Sturgeon Excursion 20TEN
Sturgeon Excursion 2010 Report

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2014, 11:37 PM
RE: 2014 Sturgeon Excursion
I'm all in except not sure if i'll be able to get the 25 hp running good enough to trust and actually get the boat out of storage. Open seat anyone?

Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be. George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
01-27-2014, 12:54 PM
(01-24-2014 11:37 PM)Mr. Rockstar Wrote:  I'm all in except not sure if i'll be able to get the 25 hp running good enough to trust and actually get the boat out of storage. Open seat anyone?

I'll let you know if I hear of a spot opening up. You need revenge. FYI: The very first year I went up there I think I caught ~8 fish or so with the biggest going 37.5". What I'm trying to say is: "It gets better!" unless your DzNuts.

Thanks given by:  Mr. Rockstar
01-31-2014, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2014 08:29 AM by Tyler Holm.)
We've booked at Wigwam Resort (Gettin Jiggy at the Wiggie). Plenty of room there for additional boats and peops, but it's time to start planning it now. If you want a damn good shot at catching the biggest fish of your lifetime, book a room now and the rest will fall into place.

I truly think the fish will be plentiful this year. Stinkin LATE ice out last year made it a little tough (latest ice out in 35 years), but we still boated almost 100 sturgies in our boat with plenty over 50" and 1 over 60". We are going up a weekend later this year due to Easter. That should give us a better shot at nicer weather and our best years are when we are up there 1-3 weeks after the ice is out on 4-mile bay. I think we'll will nail those dates perfectly this year.

For those that have no friggen clue how to catch a sturgeon, or no gear.. Whooptie Doo... You can get a damn good rod for $25. Pair that with a decent size 40 reel ($30-$50) and add a $20 spool of 50-65# Power Pro. Then it's a literally a hook and slip sinker rig. $10 in terminal tackle is all you need. The whole kitten caboodle is less than taking the wife out to a nice dinner. And you'll have that setup for a lifetime to enjoy for pike, catfish, carp, etc.

Fishing for sturgeon is a SIMPLE as fishing gets. It's really as easy as putting on a few crawlers on a hook and casting it out and letting it sit on bottom and waiting for a bite. We just run standards hook, line, and sinker slip rigs. NOTHING fancy at all, but extremely effective and productive when there are sturgeon present. Most of the time we set the rod in the holder and can sit back and socialize and enjoy beverages, cook and make meals in the boat, rock the tunes, etc. We are heavily networked up there so as soon as one of our 9 boats starts hitting fish we get the word out so everyone can get in on that action. It's typically not a spot-on-the-spot type of deal because these fish are migrating through the entire Rainy River. We just intercept their travel lanes with our baits. There's always room for more boats... The more the merrier and the more lines in the water, the more intel our group collectively has, the better off we all will be.

Oh, and rooms are $28.50 per person, per night. That's about as affordable as it gets.

I've been on fishing trips all over the county (and a few internationally) and I'm honest when I say this is my favorite trip I do and I have the opportunity to do it every single year.

Don't make excuses, make reservations. You won't regret it.
Fish On.
[Image: ty_65_9.jpg]

01-31-2014, 08:21 AM
Looking deeper into the (randomly picked) picture above, it tells a lot about sturgeon fishing. Notice the back anchor is sitting in the boat. This Some'Beach got in the anchor like many of them do. We also tell ourselves "The very first thing we need to do once we hook a big fish is pull the back anchor" Every year we press our luck and end up wrapping several fish in the anchor, but truthfully we have never lost one in our own anchor (we've lost a few in other peoples anchors). Splashwell has a few empties in it. Fresh one sitting nearby. There's a briskness in the air, but you totally forget about it once you hook a fish. It's jet black dark out, but perhaps only 8pm or so. Bibs and coat are slimy and probably smell a bit. Boat is full of crawler and minnow pieces, and there's crawler bedding everywhere.

This fish happens to be a tagged 65". Took 30 minutes from hookset to netjob. Made some unreal runs up and downstream, then fough with power and weight for the last 15 minutes where you'd get it up half way and it would sprint back to the bottom in 30' Nothing you do could to stop it. Eventually, you get these dinasours to the surface, in the net (maybe.. if your net is big enough), take a quick picture, then respectfully revive and release this fish that is older than you are. Sling hoots, hollars, high-fives, cheers, then bait up and do it all over again!

Thanks given by:  22lex , Andy Anderson
01-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Can't wait!! Like Tyler, this is my favorite trip of the year!

Andy Anderson
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Fellas, I have a good feeling about this one. Pondering buying a bigger net.

03-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Are these pictures online true? Rainy has open water already?

Ice ice baby
03-15-2014, 12:39 PM
nm, confirmed on the start of the river opening up. Looks like mid april will be ice out putting us on a good track.

Ice ice baby
03-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I saw the same thing on Facebook from one of the resorts up there. I think they said something like 25 miles east of Birchdale, around the Big Fork area.

Andy Anderson
03-17-2014, 04:11 PM
1 week ahead of last year and much warmer temps predicted than last year. I think we are sittin in tall cotton.

03-30-2014, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 10:47 PM by Dufek.)
Open water is at mile marker 170. That leaves about 40 miles to go Dodgy

Ice ice baby
03-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Foot of snow expected up there today, I'm seriously worried about our trip planned for the 17th. Not gonna be excited if Birchdale is the only access open.
03-31-2014, 05:26 PM
(03-31-2014 02:50 PM)Eric Korman Wrote:  Foot of snow expected up there today, I'm seriously worried about our trip planned for the 17th. Not gonna be excited if Birchdale is the only access open.
The extended forecast states a high of 42 leading up to April 9th , with nightly lows in teens and 20s. I would seriously look at another weekend Korman.

Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
03-31-2014, 06:14 PM
At the rate it was going with the same temps id expect another 8-10 miles of river channel to open up by then but shoreline...

Ice ice baby
04-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Edit, I was way off 5 more miles open with the foot of snow storm last night. 10 miles from Clemenstons

Ice ice baby
04-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Daily Satallite imaging

You kinda need to know what your looking at but once you figure it out, you can see the open water / Rainy on clear days. April 6th (yesterday) was a nice clear day. River moved a lot since April 4th.

Forecast is looking very promising. We are still considerably behind last year, but the foretasted temps are much, much better than last year too.

04-07-2014, 07:00 AM
Here you go.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
04-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Lex, You Wiz! If you go back and look at last year, we are at about the same date as March 27. 10 days behind, but we are heading up 6 calendar days later.

04-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Last years weather Most days in mid April are mid 30s.

The forecast for this year is considerably better. Lots of days in the 50 and they are calling for mid 60s this Wed. The walleye season will happen afterall. I suspect they will be launching big boats out of Birchdale on Wed.

04-07-2014, 09:58 AM
When you put into perspective the change in our dates, and the time the water is behind, maybe it won't turn out so bad after all! I'm much more optimistic now than I was 2 weeks ago! Bring on the big girls!

Andy Anderson
04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
(04-07-2014 09:58 AM)Andy Anderson Wrote:  When you put into perspective the change in our dates, and the time the water is behind, maybe it won't turn out so bad after all! I'm much more optimistic now than I was 2 weeks ago! Bring on the big girls!

I'm callin it Dead Nuts On. Ice going out of the Bay and Wheelers point within 2 days either side of our arrival.

04-07-2014, 10:33 AM
That would make it about perfect! Now to just get a hold of some TNT for the ice at the ramp at the point!

Andy Anderson
04-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Read that open water was spotted today right out in front of the Birchdale landing.

Andy Anderson
04-08-2014, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:19 AM by Dufek.)
Birchdales open today. 11 days behind last year but temps are looking good in long range forecast.

Ice ice baby

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)