What are your other outdoors hobbies?
04-17-2017, 01:21 PM
What are your other outdoors hobbies?
In an effort to encourage more communication at RO I thought it would be fun to find some interests besides Fishing and Hunting that we have in common.

I'll go first.

I love the outdoors period. Hunting and fishing aside, I like photography and hiking and camping. Some of my indoor activities include reading and keeping a saltwater reef tank. I have two puppies, a doodle mix and an English Springer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: What are your other outdoors hobbies?
Other than fishing and deer hunting I enjoy gardening. I also make my own tackle and inject my own plastics. If I am successful with the deer I make my own sausage and sticks and jerky. I'll be making my spring batch of bratwurst soon...usually gring and stuff between 25 and 40 pounds for use thru the summer. I grow hops as a fun something to do and give bags of the hops to a local brewer in exchange for a growler or two of brew. I grow shikati mushrooms too.
04-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Oh that's cool! How do you grow your own Shitaki's?

I enjoy gardening, I've never had a lot of room for it so I'm relegated to large pots for tomatoes and such. I'm Waaaaaaay behind on getting Tulips in the ground. They've ben wintering in my fridge and hopefully if I get them in the ground this week they'll be up in May.
04-17-2017, 05:09 PM
(04-17-2017 03:59 PM)Forty Wrote:  Oh that's cool! How do you grow your own Shitaki's?

I just started a new batch of oak logs, totem style. I have 4" oak logs that are about 7-8 years old and I just cut three nice shitakis from them but they're getting worn out, hence the new logs. Totem style is just another way of growing them. This method takes a little longer to get the live spawn inoculated into the oak log sections that are cut about 5" thick, then stacked. Its a process but the logs will yield for several years.
04-17-2017, 06:11 PM
When I get bored or a crooked hair, I've been known to submit letters to the editor.
My newest and latest interest is the toy/hobby grade drones. The first one I got had a total flight time of about one minute. The wind caught it and off into the wild blue yonder it went, never to be seen again. Bought a couple more, but yet to fly them.
Naps, I love naps. Giving Tom a hard time on rare occasions is always fun.

The hardest thing in life is knowing which bridge to cross and which one to burn.
04-18-2017, 02:21 PM
I enjoy all things outdoors and really enjoy canoeing/kayaking the local rivers and hiking and camping as well. I go up to the Boundary waters at least once a year for a week long trip.

Other hobbies include woodworking, metal working and classic cars. I have a 55 Ford Mainline I'm currently restoring as well as a 40 Ford pickup that's on the back burner.

"Come to the woods, for here is rest." -John Muir
04-19-2017, 09:36 AM
(04-17-2017 05:09 PM)Tom Wrote:  I just started a new batch of oak logs, totem style. I have 4" oak logs that are about 7-8 years old and I just cut three nice shitakis from them but they're getting worn out, hence the new logs. Totem style is just another way of growing them. This method takes a little longer to get the live spawn inoculated into the oak log sections that are cut about 5" thick, then stacked. Its a process but the logs will yield for several years.

How do inoculate them? Where do you get the spores from?
04-19-2017, 09:38 AM
(04-17-2017 06:11 PM)Ron Wrote:  Naps, I love naps.

Naps are turning into one of my hobbies too. What do you do with the drones? Use them with cameras for pictures and things? I know several roofers who use them to scope out roofs prior to work and after to check their work. Such a cool tool.
04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
(04-18-2017 02:21 PM)aaronbwca Wrote:  I enjoy all things outdoors and really enjoy canoeing/kayaking the local rivers and hiking and camping as well. I go up to the Boundary waters at least once a year for a week long trip.

Other hobbies include woodworking, metal working and classic cars. I have a 55 Ford Mainline I'm currently restoring as well as a 40 Ford pickup that's on the back burner.

Boundary waters is incredible, I went up with a scout troop about 20 years ago and absolutely loved the solitude. Do you go out of Ely?
04-19-2017, 11:46 AM
I order the spawn for my mushrooms from http://www.fieldforest.net. There are several ways to inoculate the logs you use, or the ground even. There are different spawns available: sawdust spawn, pegged spawn are most common. I have Winecap mushroom spawn pegged in the ground in an area along a garden where shade prevails....a good growing area for them. They should begin showing up around July. My new sawdust shitaki strain has been layered between oak slabs about 6" thick. The oak is layered and wrapped up tight in black plastic until October. As the oak sits in this environment for the 6 months the spawn is leached down into the oak on the cut surfaces [the actual inoculation] and permeates the oak. After 6 months no more spawn will be absorbed and the black plastic comes off and I begin to water the stacks on a regular basis until its too cold for mushroom growth. I might see some fruiting this fall but more likely next spring ill be heavy with them. I have three totems done right now and I think I'll see between 30 and 70 pounds off those three next spring. The shitakis will settle down during the warmer months and then fire up again as fall's cooler temps prevail. I'll soak the logs once during the summer and restack them. I'll soak them at least once each year during the summer for maybe 6-7 years. At the end of 6 years I'll start a new pile of logs.
04-19-2017, 05:42 PM
(04-19-2017 09:39 AM)Forty Wrote:  
(04-18-2017 02:21 PM)aaronbwca Wrote:  I enjoy all things outdoors and really enjoy canoeing/kayaking the local rivers and hiking and camping as well. I go up to the Boundary waters at least once a year for a week long trip.

Boundary waters is incredible, I went up with a scout troop about 20 years ago and absolutely loved the solitude. Do you go out of Ely?

We do go out of Ely but we also go through on the east side to up the gun flint trail and other places over there. We try to switch where we go each year to see new areas and different things but we do have a few favorite spots!

"Come to the woods, for here is rest." -John Muir
05-31-2017, 12:11 PM
I think camping is my favorite after fishing.
05-31-2017, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 02:26 PM by woodyth.)
I got a 1954 ford f100 that doesn't take much time, but my 1987 Toyota 4x4 pickup, is a timehog! Love them both dearly, they are kinda like my kids. My wife asks "If it was me or Bessie Lu (my toyota) you would have to think about it wouldn't you" Yeah maybe...... Wink Lost our Chocolate Lab Tess back in Aug, the cancer got her, so been looking for a new pup lately also......        
05-31-2017, 02:52 PM
(04-17-2017 02:15 PM)Tom Wrote:  Other than fishing and deer hunting I enjoy gardening. I also make my own tackle and inject my own plastics. If I am successful with the deer I make my own sausage and sticks and jerky. I'll be making my spring batch of bratwurst soon...usually gring and stuff between 25 and 40 pounds for use thru the summer. I grow hops as a fun something to do and give bags of the hops to a local brewer in exchange for a growler or two of brew. I grow shikati mushrooms too.

What kinds of tomatoes do you grow, or grow best around these parts? Last year mine got blight and I lost every leave on the plant. I put weed guard down in hopes of combating it this year, and got most of the plants planted, and still have room for ONE more.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)