*Please Read* - RO Ownership Opportunity
12-15-2017, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 03:08 PM by Tyler Holm.)
*Please Read* - RO Ownership Opportunity
Fellow RO Sportsman,

The time has come where I’m looking to turn over the ownership and reigns of http://www.RochesterOutdoors.net. I’m looking for a qualified and organized individual that is energized to re-invest in RO (financially and actively). The RochesterOutdoors.net domain expires on 1/6/18. I would much rather transfer the domain to another individual, rather than let it expire. Financially, I think it costs around $50 per year to own the RO domain and the hosting (maybe less).

Over the past few years, I’ve personally drifted away from the online forum world a bit and I don’t have the internal drive anymore to continually push RO to the greatness level it once had. I still fish frequently and am as passionate about the sport as I’ve always been but I just don’t have the time/desire to write articles/reports and stay up-to-date on all forum activity.

If you interesting in breathing life back into the RO forums and taking ownership, please reach out to me ASAP. I’ll also monitor this thread and respond to any questions.

Have a happy and safe Holiday season.

"Handing out toothaches, one fish at a time." - Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by:  woodyth
12-15-2017, 01:42 PM
RE: *Please Read* - RO Ownership Opportunity
Hey Tylor, hope someone takes the reigns for ya. I'm in the middle of starting my site over from scratch so i got my hands full plus life in general. Still trying to tag a deer on top of that.... Happy fishing!

Travvis Stayton- hotbousa.com
Find all posts by this user
Thanks given by:  Tyler Holm
12-15-2017, 01:43 PM
*Tyler..... Sorry about that.

Travvis Stayton- hotbousa.com
12-17-2017, 07:48 AM
It would be nice to get the band back together. Missing Matti's red pencil and DzNuts' awesome smart ass comments. And to pick on Hanson some more.
Thanks given by:  Tyler Holm , Hector00 , jigger79
12-18-2017, 10:01 AM
I had a few questions sent to me via PM and for transparency, I'll post them here.

1. What are the hardware requirements for this operation? I currently live on an old laptop. -----
I currently have the RO website hosted on GoDaddy.com (thou I'm not extremely happy with them). They host the site and provide an admin console and dashboards and whatnot. After it's all setup and running, you really don't have to worry much about the hosting service as it basically takes care of itself. As for this question,the RO forums and the RO Admin Console (only admins can see this page) are ran in a browser so there are really no hardware requirements for a PC/Laptop/tablet/mobile device

2. In your orginal note you spoke of a financial investment into the site. What do you mean by this? What are the expenses? -----
I've invested a bit financially over the years. Apparel, logos, design, vynal, embroidery, RO cleanups(trash bags), etc. Nothing major thou and most was for my own personal use. To Keep RO up and running, there are 2 individual tasks that require a bit of cash. You need to buy/renew the http://www.RochesterOutdoors.net domain name. I think you can get this for as little as $10 per year, but it may also cost a bit more. Depends on how many years you renew it for. Next is the hosting service (to host the RO website in a highly available fashion with bandwidth for dozens of simultaneous users at once). This may cost as much as $50 per year. Possibly more. Some companies are less too.
---The reason it's hard for me to give exact numbers is because I own several domains and have a bundled deal with hosting. I can't say exactly how much a single domain costs and how must it is to host a single website.

3. You also spoke of experience/knowledge, just how tech savy do I need to be to start? --------
You need to have a decent understanding of things revolving around computers, networks, etc. You don't need to be an expert, but a base knowledge will certainly help. Sometimes you need to update the RO forum software, or plugins. This is not hard and there are directions, but it does take some time and there is a learning curve.

4. Who is $50 annual fee paid to? -----
Today, I pay it to GoDaddy.com for the domain and hosting. I'd recommend looking at other options for better price and support. Perhaps GoDaddy is still a decent option, but they have torqued me off with one of my other websites.

5. What is the purchase price of the site to you?------
I think I've covered this all above. I didn't buy this site as an financial investment and I'm not looking to make money on it. Over the years, I've had several sponsors reach out to me offering cash or merchandise in exchange for sponsorship and I've always declined. I allowed business owners to post about their products as they wished, but never took a dime for anything.

12-18-2017, 10:03 AM
I'll also point out there there was a team of buddies that originally helped with the ideas and concepts put into RO. We took all our experiences from the online fishing forum industry and tried to pull the very best into RO. Many of us have been staff on other sites and had a great deal of experience posting/reading forums and moderating them.

12-19-2017, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 12:44 PM by Tyler Holm.)
For complete transparency, another PM dialog is copy/pasted below:

-----

Tyler,
I'll pay the $50 or whatever it is. I'd like to see the site stay up and running. I wish to remain anonymous though. I don't know the first thing about running a page like this, nor would I like to. Again, I don't want it to go away.

If that would help, I would be willing to.

-----

Thank You Sir.

I truly appreciate the consideration and financial offering. Very generous of you. For me, it's not a financial burden, rather I deeply want it to be driven to the level of activity it once had. Literally over a hundred new posts a day... It really needs a new leader that's invested with their heart and passion as I once was. A few people have reached out to me that should be able to fill this role and I would rather hand it over to capable hands, than sit on a semi-inactive forum as is the case the past few years. Again, I appreciate the financial offering, but my focus is to hand it over to someone to rebuild and generate traffic in their own creative ways.

Ty

01-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Times change man I remember the days of spending hours a day on forums. Those species contests were so much fun, broke me out of my narrow minded fishing experience with trout. I gained a lot of knowledge from this site and the members here. I remember when RA was active and then it wasn't and we all moved here dang near 8 years ago. Have you had someone step up yet Tyler?

Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be. George Carlin
01-04-2018, 10:06 AM
I would love to do it, but I am not an individual with IT background does that matter?

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.
-A.K. Best
01-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Man I miss the days of species contests and refreshing RA/RO all day.

Ice ice baby

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)