Just a heads up
03-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Just a heads up
According to the monitor site for Lake Zumbro the lake is up about a foot and three inches with the run-off of late. This is still 3" below the summer pool level since the extra water is just bring the lake up to normal but the increase in water might create some shoreline issues at access points. I've always considered when the ice sheet starts on float on the water, as it surely is now, vehicle use on the ice should cease. Foot travel would be fine, atvs and snowmobiles need to be cautious of ice conditions.

The Zumbro River and Cascade Creek behind the house here are running maybe 8" to 10" higher right now but those are just a couple of lots of small waters that add to the overall of what makes Lake Zumbro tick. Its time to be careful now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by:  Lew
03-05-2018, 01:27 PM
RE: Just a heads up
Thanks for the heads up Tom! I was hoping to make it out for one last time but between the deteriorating ice and fresh snow I think I may be packing up the ice gear for the year!

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
03-05-2018, 01:55 PM
I just looked at the weather map and what is headed up out of Iowa is loaded with moisture and I don't think we are going to see the rain side of this. Regardless of what comes down it will impact the lake in some way whether the weight load on the ice if it is snow or raising the water levels up more if its snow or rain and it gets into the system thru run-off.
03-05-2018, 08:11 PM
At 8PM tonight the lake has come up to within a couple inches of setting the lake in no wake territory. Its up over a foot since I started this thread this morning. Might be tough getting on the ice now, even on foot.
Thanks given by:  Lew
03-08-2018, 09:07 AM
The lake is back to near winter pool this morning so hopefully it will stay tame for the rest of the spring. Our last sbowfall could be bothersome though if we get real warm real quick, but these cooler temps since the snow fell and thru the rest of this week should help keep things harnessed so the lake isn't a mess right off. I'd guess foot travel is the best bet now for those who are still going to venture out. Its hard telling how fractured that ice is now.
03-20-2018, 11:59 AM
Over the last couple days Lake Zumbro has once again come up almost 2 1/2'. This puts water over the lip of the dam but its not any higher than it was a few weeks ago. While we have had some decent melting I don't think things will get nuts on the lake unless we get rain to help melt the remaining snow on shaded areas. There really isn't that much snow left in the Rochester area.

The lake still has plenty of ice and if this cold spring holds together it'll be a while before any open water happens to any great degree. I'm sure ready to watch a cork.
03-21-2018, 11:46 PM
The lake is still at just under 2 1/2 feet above the winter pool level. The cool today has slowed the melt and this has slowed the rise. Tomorrow and Friday might get it moving upwards again especially if we get the rain and slop snow on Friday evening and Saturday. I sure wish this winter would loosen it grip.
Thanks given by:  Lew , Ron
03-25-2018, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2018 07:15 AM by Ron.)
Seems like we are running behind schedule for that ice out crappie bite. Oh well there is always April to look forward too. Tom, you thinking the same place I'm thinking?

The hardest thing in life is knowing which bridge to cross and which one to burn.
03-25-2018, 07:36 AM
(03-25-2018 07:14 AM)Ron Wrote:  Seems like we are running behind schedule for that ice out crappie bite. Oh well there is always April to look forward too. Tom, you thinking the same place I'm thinking?

Been there and not yet. I stopped between high water events and found the water level quite low. The snags are still there but the fish hadn't shown yet.

Every year is different. Chronologically we are still early and I think that's part of why there weren't fish there yet. I was there the 16th of March and that is about the third or fourth earliest I have been there to fish. In past early attempts I was met with about the same results. I think after we shed a bit of the high water we have now we'll have fish. Our weather over the last couple years has been so roly-poly that trying to hit on a right time is hard to do and will usually take a few trips to get it right. One concern is that since the illustrious dnr decided to remove the Oronoco dam this area has been to fill in badly. Where six feet of water was the norm its 3 feet now. This is just since last year even. On top of that I am afraid that the lake's once great smallie population has gone down the tubes with this lack of dam and free flowing water. All the work being done along the banks of the river as it flows thru those areas of Shady's former lakebed is stirring up tons of mud and silt and guess where it gets dropped. Jackasses. Why not do the work first if they insist on trees and grass, then take out the last obstacle? Book-smart, brain frikkin dead engineers that work for the state.

There hadn't been much activity in front of Fisherman's either and that is usually a give-away that we can expect fish. The owner at Fishermans though may be the reason for the lack of anglers. He's really turned into a prick. Its my suggestion that people drive around to the other food place across the channel or go to Tilleys if they want to eat in that area. Of course the Pondy has food and a bar but I'm not sure of off-season hours there.

I checked this morning and the water is still about a foot higher than summer pool. ^ inches of drop will be a big help and then I plan to slip out and do some casting. If you'd answer your phone Ron you might go too!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)