All wrapped up....
04-09-2018, 08:45 AM
All wrapped up....
....literally. Here's 16 pounds of primo pepperoni trimmed and vacuum sealed, ready for the freezer or pizza.

Pork and beef, it turned out very good. I used a new to me spice blend for this and am very happy with the results.

I finally got the grinders and stuffers cleaned and oiled and stored away until fall. Now is when I start buying pork butts when they go on sale at .99 per pound. I went thru 70 pounds this winter between vennie summer sausage, pork bratwurst, vennie ring bologna, Italian sausage and pork breakfast sausage along with this, the second batch of pepperoni.

This stuff I am finding out is great as a snack sausage so I may make sticks next fall following the same recipe and using the same spices but add either powdered buttermilk or encapsulated citric acid for some tang, smoke them a little after stuffing into some slightly larger than traditional stick casings. These sticks shown were stuffed and finished in the oven to 155 degrees, then hung to dry for three weeks in the garage. We've had perfect weather for drying sausage of this diameter.

Good stuff guys.

[Image: mFkNKgz.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
RE: All wrapped up....
Tom, if you don’t mind sharing, what do you use to make your ring bologna? Do you buy a premixed seasoning mix? I’ve done plenty of snack sticks and summer sausage, but have really wanted to try making some ring bologna.

Andy Anderson
04-09-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: All wrapped up....
This right here Andy.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/ring-bologna-unit

I use their hotdog seasonings and their summer sausage seasonings and this pepperoni is done with their seasonings.

My casings I generally get at http://www.sausagemaker.com or here at waltons, just depends on what I am making. Sausagemaker has a great ring bologna casing that makes a 1 1/2pound ring. Its tough and handles smoking and finishing in boiling water real well, but has to be peeled off for eating after cooking.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)