Boating at night
07-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Boating at night
I have a couple questions for those of you who go out after dark - primarily how do you navigate when coming back in to the launch?

I run my normal required lights on my boat and then have a headlamp for each person in the boat as well as a hand held spotlight. I prefer to drive back using my GPS and no lights other than navigation ones as I can see the most this way. Obviously when it is foggy or rough I slow down and use the spotlight.

Lastly - I had a run in with another boat last night who was out either anchored or drifting in main travel area of the river and they didn't have a single light or headlamp or anything on the boat. They never turned on their headlamps and I am lucky I saw them easily. Is it worth stopping over and saying something to them? Would you call it in? I was just bothered that if it would have been pitch black I might have driven right into them - they were more than 50 yards from shore and right in the middle of where my tracks back and forth followed. Oh - I run a tiller and we do all wear safety jackets at night and I use the tether'd kill switch.

Just looking for ideas - I have young kids at home so lately it has been easier to go out late into the night and fish then when the kiddo's are in bed.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2018, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2018 08:58 AM by Tom.)
RE: Boating at night
Unless that other boat was tied to a dock after dark lights were required of it, moving or not. Its against the law to anchor on any navigable water without being lit up by the legal lights and any other. I'd have stopped but at a "speaking" distance and gotten the boat number and location and let them know they need the lights. Depending on their attitude and demeanor I may or may not have called the number in to the sheriff's office.

Personally I'd have been using the spotlight in front of my path....never know when a tree or deadhead can come along, especially with all the high water of late.
07-17-2018, 09:08 AM
At a minimum they should have had their transom white light on. When I did a lot more night fishig for cats, I always ran that light and then the bow lights when under power.

Andy Anderson
07-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys - I have also had this issue with a canoe after dark. I came across one crossing coming from Ryans bay headed towards the public boat launch. Again I was lucky and saw them but they had no light on display. I mentioned something when they got to the launch and they just put if off as "it got a little later than we had hoped" but they were clear out in the middle of the lake. I guess the moral of the story is to just be prepared for anything.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)